Another tweet that I noticed, questioned the morality of a God that allows cancer in babies. Why blame God for such, as it is not a universal religious belief that God created the universe? Indeed, there are many imperfect aspects to what used to be called creation, including humans – we are indeed highly imperfect. I thought also that a more relevant question to ask is why humans have created so many carcinogenic materials and allowed these to become a common feature of our world. The answer of course is because these are result of science and people make a lot of money out of these chemicals and materials, and whatever we do, let us not question that which we can change – the morality of science and free markets.
After looking at a few tweets I realised that I had entered a world of dogma, and of minds that have closed in on fixed opinions, where people are blind to the implications of what is being said. I also noticed a lack of compassion, love, and empathy in the tweets. What also struck me was the anger in these messages. The similarity of all this to that which sometimes spouts forth from religious (and scientific) minds that have also closed in on fixed opinions, is notable. So in response to the blind dogma of atheism, I sent a few calming tweets into their cyber-world:
1. There is God and there is religion: two completely different things;
2. Religion and science are both inventions of the human mind; both are highly imperfect, but God is not;
3. You do not have to be religious to believe in God;
4. The religious extremist, the scientific extremist: the same mind-set with different names;
5. Without doubt religion has a bad name, but so does science: both need to be made better;
6. In atheism and in religion I find a lot of angry people blinded by their dogma – please change;
7. Atheists are like theists – highly imperfect and inclined to do good things and sometimes very bad things;
8 The great mistake, seen across history, is to judge all based on the actions of some or even the many.
Then I received a message from someone who asked why atheists should be angry. To this I replied: It’s human, made worse when people believe that theirs is the sole truth. All religions are true including atheism!